Nocturia - Frequent urination at night
Nocturia is an uncomfortable condition causing people to urinate frequently at night. This can have a very negative effect on sleep patterns for both sufferers of nocturia, as well as their spouses.
Common causes of nocturia
• Enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia)
• Overactive bladder
• Other, less common diseases can also cause nocturia.
Nocturia is most often caused by benign prostatic hyperplasia, or BPH (in men over 50). As males alone have a prostate, urination problems related to the prostate gland do not apply to women.
Tips for reducing nocturia
Here are a few useful reminders on how to reduce frequency of urination after bedtime.
• Avoid drinking a lot in the evening. Alcohol and caffeine will increase the need to urinate.
• Be aware that sedatives can increase the need to urinate
• Drugs that are used to treat cold (such as pseudoephedrine nasal spray) can increase contraction of the urethra near the bladder neck and prostate. This will increase symptoms and make bladder voiding more difficult. This, in turn, can lead to a persistent urge to urinate as the bladder is not easily emptied.
Herbal nocturia supplement
SagaPro is a herbal nocturia supplement made from leaves of the Icelandic angelica herb and reduces nocturia caused by an enlarged prostate. Natural compounds called flavonoids relax smooth muscle cells and hinder contraction in the urethra and bladder.